[Histonet] improper fixation

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 09:07:41 CST 2006

Kristopher:
  After some"painful" stumbles I learned many years ago that "there is no such a thing as reprocessing a tissue".
  Once an improperly fixed tissue is processed, that's it! You will have to deal with the consequences.
  If you are talking about small biopsies the problem is even "bigger" because you risk to waste precious tissue in the intent.
  The best thing to do is to work with what you have and make sure it does not happen again.
  René J.

Kristopher Kalleberg <Kristopher.Kalleberg <@t> unilever.com> wrote:
  All,

Last week I was unable to collect 18 biopsies 2mm biopsies for a clinical that
is being run and had a colleague collect them for me. After running routine
H&E and Fontana Mason stains I found that two biopsies were improperly fixed.
Since I have never had this problem before, I was wondering if it is possible
to run the sample backwards through paraffin, xylenes, and alcohols and then
fix the samples again in 10% NBF and reprocess to paraffin. If this is
possible doe sanyone have a protocol or know what the effects will be by doing
this? Thank you in advance.

Kris Kalleberg