[Histonet] Do you love your job?

Kapoor, Sue Sue.Kapoor <@t> uhsi.org
Tue Feb 21 12:21:01 CST 2006

I what I find difficult is when animal histo/research folks talk about
perfusion and sacrificing. I know you're doing great and wonderful things
but it would be too hard for me.

Other than that I've been amazed by some of the things I've seen.  And I've
always been extremely proud to be part of this field. The biggest thing I
HATE is techs that loose sight of that and it shows in their work (or lack
of).

Sue Kapoor, HT (ASCP)
Histology Coordinator
Kenosha Medical Center
Kenosha, WI
262-653-5570

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Jackie M
O'Connor
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:53 AM
To: Rene J Buesa
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Do you love your job?

Perhaps Peggy is looking for a different spin on this type of work - many
people aren't suited for histology.  If you can't stand the sight or smell
of blood - you're not suited.  I have a sister who is an ER nurse - she
doesn't mind debriding head wounds on people, yet to see a hysterectomy
sample on my dissecting board brought her to dry heaves - - the only thing
that ever really grossed me out was when I found 1/2 a shoe in my lab
refer over a long weekend - of course it also contained 1/2 a foot.  My
eldest daughter has a BS in biology, but could never work with animal
tissues - it makes her cry.    In my opinion, the worst part about
histology is the potential for chemical and biological exposure - yeah,
you can take safeguards, but the risk is still there - let's face it, the
odds of the general public being exposed to formaldehyde went away when
they quit putting it in Mr. Bubble bubble bath - not to mention silver
nitrate, chloroform, osmium tetroxide - the list goes on.   Other things
that have bothered me over the last 35 years are fetal samples - but I'm a
Mom.  Sometimes you have to not think about the patient behind the sample
- it can get too depressing - on the other hand, I've learned more about
anatomy and the process of disease that I would have ever learned anywhere
else.  I think the key is asking a lot of questions if you have a
pathologist who is willing to explain - I've been fortunate working with
many pathologists who were terrific teachers.   I like my job - I'm proud
of what I do.  I'm at the point in my life where I'm helping to find a
cure for cancer instead of just seeing cancer specimens - and that's way
cool.  It's a great and honorable profession, and someone has to do it.
I'm glad to be a part of it.
Jackie O'

Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu