[Histonet] aldehyde fuchsin prep and double stains for specials

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Feb 9 13:58:17 CST 2006

The basic fuchsine must be pararosaniline (CI
42500, Basic red 9). Other components of basic
fuchsine (rosaniline, new fuchsine etc) won't
work. You can get pararosaniline as a certified
dye.

The paraldehyde has to depolymerize. Hydrochloric
acid is for the acid-catalyzed hydrolysis of
paraldehyde, to generate acetaldehyde. Possibly
old HCl might have lost some potency. It is, after
all, a dissolved gas. The active substance
released is acetaldehyde, which some people use
directly. According to Peggy Wenk [J.
Histotechnol. 19(4): 353, 1996] 2.5 ml of
acetaldehyde can be substituted for 1.5 ml of
paraldehyde).
--
John A. Kiernan