[Histonet] AW: Setting Ink

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sun Aug 13 14:38:47 CDT 2006

 We paint the margins with black indian ink, then dry the surface with an
hairdryer until it becomes shiny. We usually do this with mamma tissue,
prostatae and skin. There was no negativ effect noticed on the tissue, and
the black margins are well seen in the section.

Gudrun Lang

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von
RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Gesendet: Sonntag, 13. August 2006 20:08
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Re: Setting Ink

Karen Heckford asks >>Does anyone know if there is something that sets the
ink on tissue after you have inked the margins?<< and Patsy Ruegg (along
with several others) replies >>We use Bouin's fixative to set ink, just dip
it in for a few seconds then go on your way.<<

Bouin's fixative contains picric acid, a potential explosion hazard that can
give you trouble with regulatory agencies, besides being toxic, and ruinous
to clothing (particularly since it is inclined to eat through latex).

Acetone, also often recommended, is a fire and explosion hazard.

If 2% to 3% acetic acid works - and I haven't tried it personally - why not
use that?

If you blot the specimen dry adequately, the ink will usually stick to it -
India ink, Davidson and similar marking inks, and tattoo inks - I've used
them all. Ink won't stick to cauterized surfaces (such as LEEP specimens),
but the pathologist can see these margins under the microscope whether
they're inked or not.

Bob Richmond