[Histonet] Re: floating petri dish snap freezing question

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed May 11 11:17:30 CDT 2005

Kristen,

I have done it both ways but if you let the tissue float up, it is harder
to find in the OCT during sectioning.   I often put a very thin OCT layer
in mold then add tissue to have it located in bottom - then add OCT. After
than you put mold in canoeing petri dish.  It is sometime hard to push a
delicate or several pieces into OCT and sort of "glues" them to bottom of
mold.

Another trick: Put tiny drop of OCT on a dark surface, add biopsies, then
roll them into a tiny OCT ball, pick up (we like a curved eye forceps for
this, center tissue/OCT into center/bottom of mold but when you add more
OCT, go AROUND the little ball of tissues.  The pressure of adding gooey
OCT around tissues tends to keep everything centered.  You tend to lose
orientation with this method, something you may not like with gastric bx's.

You can dip tiny tissue in OCT, add to mold so it stays oriented, then add
OCT slowly and gently. Whatever you do, keep tip of OCT bottle (by laying
bottle on side) filled to prevent bubbles - the enemy.  tip of bottle can
be cut off so hole is small and prevent huge flow of goo when dispensing
OCT. One can always add OCT during freezing - so watch bottom turn white,
but key word here is is during not after freezing,  you do not want an
interface of two OCT layers, they will snap part during sectioning at
times.  Been there, done that, and it was disaster.

We purchase eye forceps for embedding in OCT - these are fine round tips,
with either straight, half curved or full curved tips.  Sharp points are
NOT used, to easy to poke holes in tiny tissues.   Arista in New York has
huge selection and cheap.

Another thing we are using is safety glasses that fit over prescription
glasses, but the safety glasses have bifocal magnification - wonderful to
see when handling tiny tissues.  They come in 1, 1.5, 2.5 and 5
magnification - maybe other,  available from Fisher, Newcomer Supply, and
MarketLab.

Hopefully this helps, so many ways.

Have a good day