[Histonet] decalcifying embedded tissues

Krista McCoy kristam <@t> zoo.ufl.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:27:58 CST 2005

Hello,

I am studying gonad morphology of frogs.  I usually decalcify then embed
the whole animal (because they are tiny).  However, I recently forgot to
decalcify (several samples).  I have ordered and soaked many of my samples
in RDO, but I am still having a hard time sectioning them.  They are either
scratched along the surface or "falling out" or the paraffin...

Are their any suggestions on how I can de-calcyfy these specimens?  Should
I take them out of the block and soak them then re-embed?

Thanks,

Krista