[Histonet] TH and golgi-cox?

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Thu Mar 3 12:25:20 CST 2005

Golgi-Cox is for showing dendritic structures of
individual neurons. It won't help much for recognizing
the 6 layers of the cerebral cortex. For this use
a Nissl stain, which is any cationic dye with fairly
small, flat molecules. Examples are toluidine blue,
thionine, cresyl violet and neutral red. The stain
should be differentiated until only the Nissl bodies
of neurons and the nuclei (most are of glial cells) are
coloured. If the tyrosine hydroxylase immunohistochemistry
is done with a permanent chromogen such as DAB, do the
Nissl stain afterwards, and make it light enough to
see the TH+ve fibres.
--
John A. Kiernan