[Histonet] Hematoxylin[Scanned]

Jack England joeamateur <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 13:23:23 CST 2005

So what's wrong with being an alchemist? Those folks did a lot for the
science of their day and whenever I spend a little time on StainsFile I
often feel that we histo people carry on their legacy. (Sirius red F3B!
Crystal Violet! Light Green SF Yellowish! Eye of newt! etc...)  This is one
of the things I love about this field, that there is so much art left to the
science.  After all, many of the most interesting discoveries and
innovations in "modern" science of any era were and are made by curious
folks wandering off in the weeds somewhere.

Per the hematoxylin thread, we're quite fond of Richard-Allen Scientific's
Gill 2 hematoxylin, as well, though we've used a Weigert's formula from an
American MasterTech kit with great results (we're a research lab, not a
clinical one, so we run a low volume and kits are economical for us).  To
date we've only bought solutions, but at the moment, I'm ripening a couple
of bottles of hematoxylin right now, just to learn how it's done.

Good luck!

--Aloha,
Jack England
Tissue Genesis, Inc.