[Histonet] Demonstration of antigen on cell surface - question?

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:57:50 CDT 2005

Good points .... Also, in addition to background issues which are
often the culprit, in my experience membrane antigens when highly
expressed - such as say EGFR in certain cancers or in skin - are
often detected in both cytoplasmic and membrane staining patterns
mainly due to two reasons I can think of:

(1) The antigen truly is in the cytoplasm on it's way to the cell
membrane therefore the staining you detect is "real"
(2) The antibody staining reaction is so strong you are getting a
fuzzy deposition of DAB (this is especially the case in high
amplification kits when used on overexpressed antigens)

(finally I just want to add that sometimes what is membrane can
appear cytoplasmic depending on the shape of the cell and the cell
type - for example when staining VEGF receptors on endothelial cells
it is often VERY hard to tell where on the cell they are located
using IHC).

Perhaps with a little more info about the cell type and antibody you
are using more info can be provided in this specific case.

Generally speaking though I would suggest that you not use IHC/DAB
etc for determining where in a cell a specific protein is expressed.
It is more useful perhaps to use immunofluorescence and confocal
microscopy or at minimum epifluorescence. Then you will most
certainly get the answer you need. In addition, you can take a
non-staining approach and do either of the two following:

(1) Make differential cell lysates of membrane and cytosolic
fractions and do westerns
(2) Make a GFP fusion protein and express it in your cell and view
where it is located via confocal

Good luck and I hope this makes sense!
Andrea