[Histonet] Demonstration of antigen on cell surface - question?

Luis Chiriboga Luis.Chiriboga <@t> med.nyu.edu
Mon Jun 20 17:53:03 CDT 2005

I think a bit more info is needed but here's a few suggestions....
If your working in frozen or formalin fixed tissue, serially dilute both
primary and secondary antibodies independently to arrive at your best signal
to noise.
If you are performing antigen retrieval (formalin fixed), run a time series
of different HEIR times or various concentrations of enzyme.
This should help you improve the S/N to an extent that allows easier
interpretation.
If your working with a novel protein...
If you have access to cell culture, perform cell fractionation and check
localization via western blot.
Have you checked in the literature? for similar class or family of protein
and it's localization?
If you have/know the target protein/antigen check for protein localization
signal (NCBI-protein database & genbank), or protein sequence homology to
other known proteins (NCBI-Blast)

Luis Chiriboga Ph.D.
NYU Cancer Institute and
Bellevue Hospital Center