[Histonet] Manual fixation/processing of reconstructed skincultures grown on polycarbonate filters

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Jan 26 10:36:26 CST 2005

Colin

We have worked quite a bit with the epioral and epigingival cultures
from Mattek.  We have stained with H&E, Ki-67 and Cleaved caspase 3. We
processed these specimens on a tissue processor, but you will be able to
do this by hand.  I'm not sure of the size of your culture wells, but we
used an 8mm biopsy punch to remove the constructs from the wells,
processed the construct whole between two biopsy pads and bisected with
a razor blade prior to embedding on end.  As far as fixation 10% NBF
will work.  The wells were labeled on the side and the entire well was
placed in a 50 ml conical tube with fixative.  After adequate fixation
the specimens were grossed, processed and embedded into paraffin.  We
processed during the day (not overnight) at 15 minutes per station.  We
sectioned at 4 microns and stained with both H&E and various
Immunohistochemical stains, I can send you images if you are interested.
If you need more info, give me a call or e-mail me back.  Also we are
writing an article that will be in the spring edition of Histologic that
basically covers the methods (both processing and analysis) we used to
assess proliferation in these in vitro tissue models.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
P.O. Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308