[Histonet] Manual fixation/processing of reconstructed skin cultures grown on polycarbonate filters

Colin Smith colins <@t> thor.uk.com
Wed Jan 26 09:07:05 CST 2005

Can anyone help?
I am currently setting up a basic histology system for analysing
reconstructed tissues grown in culture on polycarbonate filters, similar to
Mattek's Epiderm. We currently have begged borrowed or stolen,
equipment-wise:
two water baths (ambient - 100C), a circulating warm air oven, a rocking
microtome and cold blocks, along with glass staining jars/racks, forceps etc.
At the moment, equipment such as a wax dispenser, purpose built cooling
plates etc are out of the question until I can show that we can show that the
model we are growing is validated, which will include immunohistochemistry of
cytokeratin and cell adhesion markers etc. Thus we are in the catch 22
situation of having to prove something without the equipment needed to do the
job, in order to justify buying the equipment!! But thats accountants for
you, go figure.
Anyway, can anyone give any useful pointers/protocols for
fixing/processing/embedding/sectioning such tissues using such primative
equipment
Any help, no matter how trivial will be greatfully received.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Colin Smith BSc CBiol MIBiol Eurotox Registered Toxicologist
In Vitro Toxicologist
Thor Specialities UK Ltd
Wincham Avenue,
Northwich
CW9 6GB

Tel: +44 1606 818873
Fax: +44 1606 818801
colins <@t> thor.uk.com

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and may also
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient then please delete forthwith.
Views expressed in this email are views of the individual and are not
necessarily the views of this company.