[Histonet] Fluorescence staining

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Jan 25 11:52:03 CST 2005

Molecular Probes has mounting media designed to set up hard but mainly
prevent photobleaching of fluorophore, in your case FITC?

Go to their website and look for Prolong Gold, ready to use.  We love
it.  You mount the sections from PBS, and do not dehydrate.  They recommend
sealing the edges of coverslip, which is done nicely with toluene or xylene
diluted mounting media at consistency of very thin nail polish. We avoid
latter due to alcohol in nail polish.

It is pricey but worth every penny of cost.

At 09:10 AM 1/25/2005, you wrote:
>Hi,
>We are looking into trying some Fluorescence staining. We want to try a
>TSA Fluorescence System from PerkinElmer. The IHC protocol does however
>leave me with some questions.
>We always dehydrate our samples after staining. The protocol however
>doesn't mention this. It only says that the samples can be counterstained
>and mounted after incubation with the Fluorophore Tyramide. Should we
>dehydrate and is there a particular mounting media we should use to
>prolong the time that fluorescence can be detected? Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance for all your help,
>Eva
>Georgetown University