[Histonet] The "Stuff" to Find Lymph Nodes

Patrick Paulusse wolf <@t> webhart.net
Tue Jan 4 17:58:48 CST 2005

Wanda,

Although I have not been fortunate enough to have tried some of the
commercially available lymph node retrieval solutions, I do use a homemade
solution which was outlined in an article (referenced below) that you might
be interested in trying.  The recipe is as follows:

    500 ml of absolute ethanol
    170 ml distilled water
    80 ml of 37% formaldehyde
    50 ml of acetic acid

According to the article the reagents must be added in this order (does
anyone know why?).  I've used this since 2001 with great success.  I dissect
off the pericolic adipose tissue and leave it sit in the solution for 24
hours and the smallest of lymph nodes show up white against the grey/yellow
adipose tissue. I've also let it sit over the weekend and have seen no
deleterious affects because of the prolonged treatment.  If you try it let
me know what you think.

Article Reference:

"GEWF solution: an inexpensive, simple, and effectiveaid for the retrieval
of lymph nodes from colorectal cancer specimens". Ken J. Newell, Barry W.
Sawka, Brian F. Rudick, David K. Driman. Arch Pathol Lab Medicine, May
2001;125:642-645.

Patrick Paulusse
Histology Supervisor
Pembroke Regional Hospital