[Histonet] The "Stuff" to Find Lymph Nodes

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Jan 4 23:30:38 CST 2005

This has been the subject of many Histonet enquiries
and answers, the most informed ones being from Dr Bob
Richmond, an American pathologist. It's evident that
the solutions for revealing lymph nodes are variants
of the alcohol-formalin-acetic (AFA) family of fixatives.
Bob R (and others) have recommended Davidson's fluid
(formalin 40, alcohol 60, acetic acid 20, water 60).

Patrick P's formula, cited below, is closer to the
traditional early 20th century AFA fixatives (such
as those of Tellyesniczky and of Bodian), in that it
contains more alcohol and less acetic acid than
Davidson's.

Bob Richmond has (?had) an excellent web page about
Davidson's fixative and its value in lymph node
dissection, at
http://members.aol.com/RSRICHMOND/histology.html
[It took three tries to find this URL, using
Google. Two top-of-the-list links failed to find
it. Are you still histonetting, Bob? Maybe you should
tweak the old page a bit.]

If the revelation of lymph nodes is due to partial
removal of similarly pale bits of fat, any liquid that
can partly dissolve fat should do the job. An obvious
answer is 40% ethanol, as in gin or vodka. For a
lab poisoned duty-free spirits, diluted 50/50
with tap water, should clarify the lipids and
conserve the pallid proteins and DANA of the lymph nodes.

John Kiernan
London,  Canada.