[Histonet] antigen retrieval question

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 06:42:15 CST 2005

Patsy,

I have done this many times before, and have never had any issues with re-masking.  Why would the sites be re-masked if they are not subjected to formalin again?  If I am staining a big batch of slides (anything over 100 slides at a time), I do the depar and retrieval on the first day and all of the antibody stuff on the second day.  Maybe it just depends on the protein/antibody?

This has peaked my interest.  I am curious to see if anyone else has encountered this problem.

Kim Merriam
Novartis
Cambridge, MA

Jim Staruk <jstaruk <@t> masshistology.com> wrote:
We tried that once and the control slide (along with the research slides)
were completely negative. Not sure if it was a fluke, but we never tried it
again! Now everything is done on the same day.

Jim

______________________
Jim Staruk
Mass Histology Service
www.masshistology.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Patsy Ruegg
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:33 PM
To: ihcrg <@t> neo.agsci.colostate.edu
Cc: histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: [Histonet] antigen retrieval question

I have heard that it is not a good idea to do HIER one day and do the IHC
the next? Is this so? I heard that the unmasking could actually remask if
left sitting a long time before doing the staining. I have a protocol that
requires a 3 hr. water bath incubation for AR and it would be more
convienent if I could do that one day and do the rest of the procedure the
next.
Patsy