[Histonet] Re: 37% formaldehyde in the UK

John Auld John.Auld <@t> whnt.nhs.uk
Fri Feb 4 03:56:04 CST 2005

Mark

In the UK formaldehyde is a gas the concentrate bought is 37 - 40% gas
dissolved in water. This is then diluted to 4% gas in water, or 10% of the
commercial concentrate. Unfortunately there is no formal (sorry for the
pun) nomeclature for what is what. It is comonly accepted that formaldehyde
is the 37 - 40% concentrate and formalin (4% gas) is the diluted form.
While this may seem confusing I would be surpised at any histologist
attempting to use concentrated formaldehyde for histology. It is sometimes
used to fumigate saftey cabinets and cryostats though.

John

John Auld MSc CSci FIBMS
BMS 4
Dept of Histopathology and Clinical Cytology
Arrowe Park Hospital
Arrowe Park Road
Upton
Wirral