Clontech and Molecular Probes recommendations for RE: [Histonet] sealing slides with diluted permount

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Dec 19 13:25:06 CST 2005

Malcolm,

We found agarose and rubber cement to be terribly messy, and  since had
conversations with Clontechs tech services on using diluted mounting
media.  The same for Molecular Probes as their technical services one on
one did recommend sealing the coverslip with Prolong Gold anitfade hard set
- it does retract when dry, as we learned the hard way. They were also
recommending the messy way.   Another reason for sealing is to keep the
coverslip from sliding all over the place with potential for ruining a
stained section (had it happen).

The only reason you can't use nail polish (per a Science publication on
GFP) is that is contains isopropyl alcohol, and that is what ruins the GFP
since the alcohol leaches into the aqueous mounting medias.  That is why we
now use toluene or xylene based mounting medias since these two solvents
are not miscible with water.