[Histonet] h&e staining on frozen sections

Charles Murtaugh murtaugh <@t> genetics.utah.edu
Fri Apr 29 23:03:18 CDT 2005

Hi all--

  I have a problem that has plagued me for years, and is particularly annoying right now because I am trying to move entirely away from doing wax sections to frozen sections (for better preservation of antigens, ease of processing, etc.).  I study mouse developmental biology, and I always like to stain one section from every block I process by standard H&E techniques.  On wax sections, these are always nice, but on frozen they are invariably dreadful.

  For frozen sections, I first fix the tissues 1-4 hrs in 4% PFA/PBS, then treat overnight with 30% sucrose/PBS and embed in OCT.  My students and I usually get really nice frozen sections, from 8-12 microns depending on what we want to look at, and typically we analyze by fluorescent microscopy or in situ hybridization.  Whenever we do H&E staining, though, we get all this artifactual shrinking of the tissue, presumably due to the subsequent dehydration, as well as very poor differentiation of hematoxylin-stained nuclei.  With wax neither of these is a problem, even though the initial fixation conditions are identical.  Has anyone else encountered (and hopefully solved) this problem?

  Thanks in advance,

  Charles Murtaugh

=====

L. Charles Murtaugh