[Histonet] h&e staining on frozen sections

Bryan Hewlett bhewlett <@t> cogeco.ca
Sat Apr 30 11:11:52 CDT 2005

Charles,

This is the technique that I have found to be useful.

Prepare your tissue as usual.
Section on the cryostat and handle the sections for fluorescence, ISH etc as
usual.
Cut the frozen section to be stained for H&E at 4-6 micrometer thickness,
lift the anti-roll plate and pickup the flat section on a room temperature,
positively charged slide.
Immediately immerse the slide in a coplin jar containing the following
fixative;

ETOH.... 70.0 mL
Formalin (37-40% formaldehyde).... 10.0 mL
Glacial acetic acid........5.0 mL
D.Water to make up to 100 mL.

Allow the section to fix for 2 - 5 minutes
Place slide in 70% ETOH x2 for 30 seconds each, followed by two changes D.
water.
Proceed with the H&E stain.

The resulting stained section will be virtually indistinguishable from a
FFPE stained section.

Regards,

Bryan Hewlett