[Histonet] Land snail dissection.

Margaret Horne mhorne <@t> upei.ca
Thu Sep 9 09:18:34 CDT 2004

I used to use soda water to temporarily put Gammarus,a small
crustacean, to sleep; I immersed them in it til they stopped
twitching. I was told it was the CO2 that did it. Had to be careful
not to overdo it and kill them, as I needed to recover them.

          As for lobster , I put them in the freezer for about 20 min or
so til they hardly move , and then plunge them in boiling water
head first. They supposedly die before waking up , so the theory
goes. Makes me feel a little better and I don't lift the lid  :-).

               Lobster goes well with garlic and butter too,

                                         Margaret
Margaret Horne ,
Histology Teaching Assistant,
Dept. of B.SC.,