[Histonet] Land snail dissection.

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Thu Sep 9 08:22:37 CDT 2004

Greg,

Yep, we've got an Animal Care Committee here at Univ. Wisconsin, and
all the rest. They -- and most such entities in the US -- just don't
care about anything that doesn't have a backbone.
Besides, MgCl2 and cooling *are* anesthesia for snails, as well as
some crustiaceans at least (my own critters, if a I had a job doing
critters, instead of running microscopes for biomedical types).
MS-222 might work on aquatic snails, but not on land ones.
CO2/CO might work on Pulmonates, come to think of it (land snails are
Pulmonates).
I have to agree with anesthetizing lobsters before dropping them in
the boiling water, though -- I've never believed that they don't feel
the boiling.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel