[Histonet] anhydrous EtOH clarification.

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:44:43 CDT 2004

Jason,

The beads are most likely either silica gel or molecular sieve. I
don't know of specific sources in Canada, but cases of silica-gel
beads in little capsules for drying electronics and pharmaceuticals
can be gotten relatively cheaply from suppliers for those industries.
I'm trying to track down such a supplier now that someone else here
used, and if I get the information, I'll pass it on.
Molecular sieves are better, in that they have a greater capacity for
H20. We use them routinely to keep are EtOH dry for electron
microscopy preparation.
Molecular sieves can be purchased from industrial gas suppliers --
they're typically used for drying gases. Shop around, though, the
prices can vary by a factor of 2 or more.
You want 4 Angstrom beads -- the pore size that traps H20 -- and
preferably with some indicator beads. Get the small size beads for
greater surface area.
Be sure to pipette from the top of the liquid if you use molecular
sieves to avoid dust, or put the sieves in dialysis tubing.
You should also be able to get these from electron microscopy supply
houses, but for higher prices. It's worth while doing some shopping
on the internet.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel