[Histonet] Dewaxing in IHC

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Oct 4 09:59:48 CDT 2004

We have used both Clearite 3 (xylene substitute) from Richard Allen, and
xylene.  A key thing is to do enough changes and longer times in these
solvents to insure good paraffin removal, plus we keep them relatively
fresh (rotation is done more frequently to insure first solvent does not
contain lots of paraffin aka contaminated after many sections going through
prior to IHC slides.

We do 3 change, 5 minutes per change and either solvent for paraffin
removal has worked well, no complaints from those doing IHC on paraffin
sections.

For all other staining, we use Clearite 3, 2 changes at 3 minutes each, but
once again, keep reagents rotated.  Limonene makes too many people sick in
our lab, not allowed on the premises.

At 08:26 AM 10/2/2004, you wrote:
>Dear histonetters
>I would like to hear, what reagens is the most used in IHC for dewaxing
>the slides.
>We use xylen. And there is the opinion in our lab, that xylen is superior
>to other xylen-substitutes. Do you agree?
>For the HE-slides we use limonen, but for any delicate stain the boss
>demands xylen.
>thanks
>Gudrun

Gayle Callis