[Histonet] Sections falling off slides

Chewy71874 <@t> aol.com Chewy71874 <@t> aol.com
Fri Nov 12 02:07:41 CST 2004

Are you putting the positive control tissue on the same slide?  When we have
tissue that is washing, we have the cutters put the control on a separate
slide.  We use DAKO silanized slides and most tissue stays on very well, but
occasionally tissue will wash.  We found that what I call "double dipping" when
cutting is a problem (dipping once to put control on slide, and again to put
patient tissue on slide).  When using silanized or Plus slides, it is important
not to touch the surface of the slide.  Use only deionized or distilled water in
the waterbath, and no additives.  Also, if putting the control on the same
slide as the unknown, dip only the end of the slide that will contain the
tissue, drain it with that side down, then pick up the other tissue by dipping the
other end, and drain it with that side down.  We also blot our silanized slides
after picking up the tissue to remove the water that collects under the
tissue, allow to dry, then dry in 60 degree oven for 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Ellen Yee, HT
Immuno Dept.
Central Histology Facility