[Histonet] Counterstain to use with blue and red substrates

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed May 26 13:24:00 CDT 2004

Personally, we prefer NO counterstain.  That way two colors are separate
and distinct without the problem you just described.  No chromogen is
masked by the nuclear staining and any confusion is eliminated. The master
of Double staining, Dr Chris van der Loos also does this, and I also
suggest you try using VECTOR Blue sometime with AEC, the contrast is superb.

At 01:03 PM 5/26/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>I am using blue (NBT) and  red (AEC)  substrates in a double stain and
>wondered if anyone has a recommendation of a nuclear counterstain that
>may work with this. I could use metanil yellow a a cytoplasmic stain but
>would prefer a primarily nuclear stain. I have used Methyl green but it
>has covered some of the blue in the past. Thanks.
>
>Douglas Gregg
>Plum Island Animal Disease Center
>Greenport, NY

Gayle Callis