[Histonet] Safety regs/Pathologists (males only)

convmcm convmcm <@t> cc.usu.edu
Sat May 15 00:45:39 CDT 2004

I can't reist.  THIS post is PRICELESSS!!!  Woooo-hoooo Terry!!!  thanks for
the chuckle!

I know this is a very serious discussion, but the truth is... I've been
laughing my head off
at all of this.  Now I'm going to jump into the fray and spout of my piece.

OF COURSE we need to be safe.  Anyone who has worked in the pre-safety era,
like me,
remembers how it was to work in a small, hot, unventilated room filled with
open tubs of
formalin sitting on heating pads. Dipping our bare fingers into xylene while
coverslipping
our slides and many, many, many other things.   My husband and I both have
some
reallly wild tales to tell about how breaches in common sense & lack of
written
procedures caused mayhem and disaster.  When I first learned histology, it was
my
understanding that common sense was a necessary attribute for working in a lab
of any
kind.

But I also believe the bureaucrats who come up with these safetly rules have
NO IDEA
about the dynamics of living beings.  What is perfectly sensible in one lab is
a disaster in
another and yet we're all expected to live and work by standarized rules and
regs.  ALL
of us want to be safe.  All of us want to do the very best for our clients ---
whether they're
human or the animals humans care for.  Common sense is TRULY the heart and
soul of
safety.  And Common Sense is a product of a good mind coupled with knowledge.

Anyone -- doctor or tech -- who likes to live by the blanket rules and regs
without being
aware of the reality of the moment, is the most dangerous thing in the lab.

I am now donning all of the appropriate personal safety apparel in preparation
for the
incinerator blast that is sure to come my way ...

Connie McManus
Utah Veterinary Diagnostics Laboratory
Utah State Universtiy
950 East 1400 North
Logan, UT

phone 435/797-1891
fax: 465/797-2805

<
Terry.Marshall <@t> rothgen.nhs.uk> =====
>Bill says:
>
>"It makes more sense to wash ones hands BEFORE going to the john in a surg
path
lab."

>Absolutely. The "Now wash your hands" sign in a urinal has always seemed
plain
wrong to me.