[Histonet] Testes Bouin's fluid

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon May 3 09:40:29 CDT 2004

It does not make sense to put specimens in neutral
buffered formaldehyde after fixing them in Bouin's
fluid. Bouin's is, for many purposes, a better
fixative than NBF because it confers characteristic
patterns of chromatin in nuclei of different cell
types and it also permits brighter staining of
collagen and cytoplasm with anionic dyes. Bouin's
fluid extracts cytoplasmic RNA and it can also
make DNA Schiff-positive (Feulgen hydrolysis), and
can damage red blood cells.

Staining by both haemalum and eosin is stronger
after Bouin's than after NBF, and in many tissues
the microanatomy, as seen in paraffin sections, is
more lifelike. There is less differential shrinkage
of cells, tubules etc than you see in paraffin
sections of specimens fixed in neutral formaldehyde.
--
John A. Kiernan