[Histonet] Burn Artefact, pneumo immuno

JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com JColCLEFA <@t> aol.com
Thu Jun 17 16:21:10 CDT 2004

Might your pathologist be speaking of cautery artefact? We get specimens
every once in a while which have a cauterized margin- the tissue is literally
burned- and there is nothing I know to do to reclaim this tissue.

We use the pneumocystis immuno in our lab but mostly as a confirmation (our
GMS is reliable since it's been tweaked to death) and also if there are
trophozoite forms of the organism suspected. It seems pretty reliable but does not
highlight the capsule of the bug as well as the GMS does, so the pathologists
need to realise the traditional look of the organisms will not be as obvious.

Questions? e-me JC (QIHC)