[Histonet] Immunohistochemistry - Micobacterium

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Sun Feb 1 11:37:47 CST 2004

In my experience, IHC for mycobacteria is very sensitive, but not
specific.  Unfortunately, mycobacteria share antigens with other
bacteria.  Therefore, it is unlikely that one can generate an antibody
that will only label mycobacteria, let alone an individual species.
Yes, I use IHC to identify mycobacteria in fixed tissue, but the
immunoreactivity must be confirmed with another technique if equivocal.
There are several articles available on the IHC detection of
mycobacteria in formalin-fixed tissue.  In fact, the early articles date
back to the early 1980's.

Richard Cartun

>>> "Darlene Jones" <djones <@t> upei.ca> 01/28/04 08:59AM >>>
I am new to the Histonet World, so hello everyone,

Would anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find a
source of a immunohistochemistry protocol for Micobacterium on
the avian subspecies paratuberculosis? Including reagent and
antibody sources?

Thank-you,

Darlene Jones, BSc.
Necropsy & Research Technician