[Histonet] Justification for Tape Coverslipper

Cheasty, Sandra SCheasty <@t> ahs.llumc.edu
Sun Feb 1 15:46:40 CST 2004

The staff here can hand coverslip 30 slides in 8-10 minutes
The Sakura tape coverslipper does 30 in 1.5 minutes.
With our workload this is about 2 hours a day in tech time that would be saved.
When this tech time cost savings is weighed against the cost of the machine and the increase in consumables (tape vs. coverslips and mounting medium) the savings does not seem that overwhelming, even over 5 years.

Am I missing some factor in this equation?  I truly love the Sakura coverslipper, have used it in two other labs, and even wrote a justification for one, but that was in 1992.  Has the cost of the tape gone up that much?  I remember a much bigger savings. Is my memory failing?  Any input you experts can give me would be much appreciated!   (except those who blame my failing memory...)

Thanks

Confidentiality Note:

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains information that may be confidential, protected by applicable legal privileges, or constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.