[Histonet] decalcification of crista-biopsies

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Sun Feb 1 04:47:27 CST 2004

Hans

Probably the best way of determining the end point of decalcification is the
Ammonium hydroxide/ammonium oxalate method as detailed below.

SOLUTIONS:

Solution A, 5% aqueous Ammonium Hydroxide
Solution B, 5% aqueous Ammonium Oxalate

METHOD:

Pipette 5 ml solution A into suitably sized flask or tube.
Add 5 ml of solution B
Add 5 ml of solution from the bottom of decalcification vessel. (Avoid
picking up particulates in the pipette.)
Let stand 15 minutes.
If the test aliquot is clear, decalcification is completed and solution is
still usable.
If cloudy, the solution is exhausted, indicated by the precipitated calcium
oxalate, and decalcification is not complete.
Change the fluid and proceed, testing frequently.

Hope that's of some use.

Nick Kirk
Histopathology
Hinchingbrooke Hospital