[Histonet] please advise: bor practical

Joanholtz <@t> aol.com Joanholtz <@t> aol.com
Mon Dec 27 15:49:00 CST 2004

The hospital in which I work uses manual processes for all of our cutting and
special staining needs.  The only automation we use is the H&E.  I would
think this is the preferred way to learn hands on and was quite proud to learn
this way.  I was assured that after passing the written portion of the exam,
(which I did on my first attempt) that the practical should be no problem at all.
I have submitted my practical twice; this time I am eligible to submit my
slides for a reevaluation along with more money.  Before each submission my
slides were reviewed by at least two of our pathologists.  If 800 is the optimal
score I do not think it is reasonable to assume that my hospitals lab puts out
or accepts anything below a 300.  I would truly appreciate any and all help or
insights as I try and appeal my scores by Jan. 10th 2005.

Am I at a disadvantage without automation?  How should I select slides to be
reevaluated?  Is it possible to get a worse score?  Am I wasting my time?  Is
the evaluation process anonymous, do they know your background?

This is truly a very frustrating situation with a BS in Biology and three
years histology experience. I have invested a lot of time, energy and money into
getting where I am now and this arbitrary process is preventing me from going
any further.

Thank you for any and all help,
Joan