[Histonet] RE: static electricity/humidity problems

rgrow <@t> bmnet.com rgrow <@t> bmnet.com
Thu Dec 2 15:48:43 CST 2004

Tina,

There have been several good responses regarding static.  Try them.  Use
what works best in your lab.

Humidity is a big problem in the southern United States.   Air conditioning
systems and de-humidifiers can't handle the load in old drafty buildings.
We have solved this problem by adding silica gel crystals to our last
absolute alcohol and first xylene in the dehydrating and clearing stations.
This step has been successfully used here for many years.  It  also extends
the life of the reagents 2x.
We order it from:  Sigma Aldrich Company, Catalog #:  21,444.2  Silica Gel
2.5 Kg.
A word of caution: Do dispense and discard carefully as it is a carcinogen.

Good luck.

Renee Grow, BA., HT (ASCP)
rgrow <@t> bmnet.com
Histology Supervisor