[Histonet] Color-Coding Biopsies

Bauer, Karen Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Mon Aug 9 11:35:48 CDT 2004

Hi Joyce,

We routinely use green cassettes for all of our tissues, but when we get
prostate and breast cores, we use yellow cassettes.  This tells the embedder
and the cutter that they are dealing with prostate or breast and can handle
them accordingly.  Of course, all breast and prostate cases are always
staggered between other tissues.  If for some reason two cases are
accessioned consecutively (like at the end of the day and there are no other
tissues to put between them), the cut slides are placed on two separate
slide trays and the Pathologist is notified.

We also use a blue dye on our prostate biopsies and sometimes on the breast
cores if needed.  The dye we use is Mrs. Stewart's Bluing Solution.  It's
purchased at any grocery store, in the laundry isle.  It never gets thick,
gritty, or clumpy and stays on through the entire processing and staining
cycles.  I believe the cost is around $2.00.  We love it and have used it
for years and years (20+ or so).

Every 3 months, I do a search of all the prostate and breast cases to make
sure they were staggered between other cases.  My director wants me to do
this to make sure everyone is following procedure and we keep these on file
as part of our annual QI/QA.

Good luck to you,

Karen Bauer HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor