[Histonet] validating oil red o staining

Jeremy Browne j.browne <@t> auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 14 16:34:43 CDT 2003

Clarification,

Thanks for all your responses.  Its clear that I haven't explained myself
very well at all:

We would like to use oil red O to quantify lipid localisation in frozen
sections of hepatic and muscle tissue.  However, we must first demonstrate
that the amount of staining we get (density) is in fact equal to the amount
of lipid present in the sections and to do this we need to set up some
titrations using positive controls with known and different concentrations
of lipid to show a linear response between staining intensity and lipid
concentration.  However, a fat smear is difficult to use as a positive
control in this way because it simply washes off the slides.  Therefore, we
would like to know what others have done to demonstrate linearity with the
oil red O staining procedure.  Is there a way we can treat the fat to
overcome its liquid nature (that is to say not the lipid in the muscle and
liver but the actual 'fat' being used as a positive control)?

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy Browne

Liggins Institute