[Histonet] liquid nitrogen immersion

Davis, Gareth gareth.davis <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Oct 30 16:06:54 CST 2003

Brandy,
When we have immersed tissue into Liquid Nitrogen, we have actually made our own cassettes with foil.  We just use regular foil and shape it around a cork or bottom of a small bottle (depending on size needed), leaving extra to fold over the frozen block - when finished freezing.  Put the freezing medium and tissue in foil cassette and immerse in LN until just about completely frozen, =small bubble in center results.  Then remove and store as in -80.
Hope this helps.
Gareth

Ms. Gareth B. Davis
Research Assistant II
Neuro-magnetics Division of
the Department of Neurology
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
615-936-3318

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Brandy Baca [mailto:BRBaca <@t> salud.unm.edu]
	Sent: Thu 10/30/2003 3:51 PM
	To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
	Subject: [Histonet] liquid nitrogen immersion

	I am new to the listserve and have a question regarding immersion of
	cassettes and vials in liquid nitrogen. I am going to be working with a
	developing tissue bank and wondered if anyone knows what cassettes and
	vials can withstand immersion in liquid nitrogen for quick-freezing. I
	have spoke with Sakura and they have no evidence that their
	uni-cassettes can withstand immersion. As for vials, many don't
	reccomend immersion but some require a tube in order to accomodate this
	process. If anyone can suggest a manufacturer and type, it would be
	greatly appreciated. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their

	Brandy Baca
	Dept of Pathology
	CRTC B-93
	505.272.1127 phone