[Histonet] liquid nitrogen immersion

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Thu Oct 30 16:07:04 CST 2003

Brandy,

Most scientific supply companies carry cryovials, but these may not
be what you need. We store samples in ordinary minifuge tubes, which
are made of polypropylene. There are also larger vials for storage in
LN2 using "sticks" to hold the vials in the storage dewars. They are
also available from Fisher and so forth. I wouldn't try using
standard histology specimen cassettes, though, simply because they're
designed for specimen processing in different chemicals and raised
temperatures.
If there's a sperm bank near you, ask what they use, or check the
folks in molecular biology, etc., at the University.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel
Supervisor, BBPIC microscopy facility