[Histonet] Need silver stain for granules in adrenals

Nick Kirk nick.kirk3 <@t> btopenworld.com
Thu Oct 9 20:43:55 CDT 2003

You could try secondary fixing the tissue in chromate solution to get the
Chromaffin reaction, it usually works.

Nick Kirk
  -----Original Message-----
  From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Geoff McAuliffe
  Sent: 09 October 2003 22:15
  To: Nick Kirk
  Cc: Histonet
  Subject: Re: [Histonet] Need silver stain for granules in adrenals

  I don't think you can get a good chromaffin reaction on material already
fixed with formalin. Fontana-Masson should be fine. John Kiernan published a
chromate-dichromate fix for chromaffin tissues, it may be in his book, along
with other recommendations.

  Geoff

  Nick Kirk wrote:

    What you are trying to demonstrate are Chromaffin cells of the adrenal
glands so a Masson-Fontana should work, if not try a Schmorl or carry out
the Chromaffin reaction
    If you use Iodate oxidation you can distinguish between Adrenaline and
noradrenalin fairly easily as iodates oxidise noradrenaline much quicker
than they do adrenaline.

    Nick Kirk
    Histopathology
    Hinchingbrooke Hospital