[Histonet] fixatives

Steven E. Slap siksik03 <@t> comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 10:27:03 CST 2003

Hi HistoNetters

Dr. Ortega asked about the use of a fixative made up of of a
combination of an alcohol and polyethylene glycol, and the possible
advantages of using such a fixative in preserving RNA, DNA and
proteins.  As it happens, this topic is examined at length in Chapter
11 (Microwave stimulation of coagulant formalin-free fixatives) of
the new edition of Kok & Boon's Microwaves for the Art of Microscopy.

Briefly, Dr. Boon has been promoting the use of non-crosslinking,
formalin-free ethyl alcohol/PEG fixatives since the early 1980's.
The first of these to become commercially available was Kryofix, a
Merck product (which I believe is available from E M Sciences in a
slightly different form today as NeoFix-  Rande Kline-  can you
clarify this?).  Dick Dapson of Anatech and I developed a version
when I was at Energy Beam Sciences which we called MicroFix.  Dr.
Boon has her own version now, called BoonFix  Milestone has a
version, called FineFix.  Sakura has its version (I don't know its
trade name).

The theory is that the alcohol (ethyl alcohol or methyl alcohol) does
the dehydration, while the PEG permeabilizes the cell membrane.
BoonFix also contains acetic acid.  The fixative does not crosslink
proteins, so no antigen retrieval is necessary for
immunohistochemistry.  Preliminary testing seems to indicate that DNA
and RNA preservation is far superior to formalin.

I would be happy to provide more information privately to those intersted.

best regards,
Steven Slap
Steven E. Slap
Microwave Consultant