[Histonet] DBA staining for parietal cells

Barry R Rittman Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:23:42 CST 2003

DBA (Dolichos biflorus) binds to several types of N-acetyl glucosamines.
I would go to two sources.
First for a history of lectins "The Lectins. Properties, Functions and
Applications in Biology and Medicine" by Liener, Sharon and Goldstein.
Academic Press. Published in 1986. Although this is an older text it is
a excellent resource for information on all the lectins known up to that
time.
Another great sources is Vector Laboratories, I think still at
Burlingame, CA.. They have a booklet that provides a lot of information
re lectins. They do sell lectins and lectin antibodies and all those I
have purchased from them have been outstanding.

Some cautions
If you are going to use a lectin bound to a peroxidase then these do
often have a limited life span.
For DBA and many other lectins there are a number of isolectins with
slightly different binding properties and specificities.
Few lectins bind to only one carbohydrate moiety and therefore the
carbohydrate you use for negative controls must take this into account.
Negative controls using specific (and highly purified carbohydrates) are
critical in evaluating lectin binding.

Barry
713-500-4134
6516 MD Anderson Blvd.