[Histonet] optimal fixative for cytology smear?

IKIRBIS IKirbis <@t> onko-i.si
Wed Dec 24 00:07:45 CST 2003

if you are asking about fixative for immuno on cytology slides I suggest
you methanol, slides have to be fixed immediately in cold methanol and they
should also stay in methanol, they shouldn't be dried, you can store them
up to 1 month for majority of markers with one  exception - tDt, you have
to stain it next day
hope this help, wish you happy holidays
Irena Kirbis
Cytopathology< department
Ljubljana, Slovenia

-----Original Message-----
From: ulso [mailto:whatisdog <@t> ksvcp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 6:47 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] optimal fixative for cytology smear?

Hi, histolanders!
I am looking for adequate fixative appliable to cytology smear. In fact, I
have tried acetone 100% 5 min so far, but repeatedly, I have found this
fixative have poorly preserved the nuclear morphology, and somewhat dirty
backgroud from celluar debris from fixation process.

My topic is usually, CD antibodies such as CD3, 79a, 45RA, 1, 4, and 8 on
canine lymph node or blood cells.

Anyone out there recommend me any fixatives or tips on it? Literature based
information would also be appreciated.

Thank you and happy hollidays!

Ul Soo Choi.
DMV. graduate student
Dept of clinical patholoy, CVM, Seoul Nat'l Univ.
Seoul, Korea.