[Histonet] Steamer Protocol hints

Rena Fail RFail <@t> Charleston.net
Thu Dec 18 04:33:27 CST 2003

I preheat the buffer while the slides are dehydrating The temp is
usually at 99 at the end of 20 minutes. Fisher sells a digital
thermometer with a probe that fits thru the holes in the lid of the
steamer and placed in the coplin jar We use the retrieval solutions from
DAKO
Rena Fail

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of LD Ridley
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:25 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Steamer Protocol hints

Hi all,
         Does anyone out there have any good tips they could share with
me with regards to using steamers for antigen retrieval. We have just
had one kindly donated. My plan is to place a container of cold citrate
buffer with the slides in, into the steamer and heat for approximately
40 mins. (Allowing the temp of the citrate buffer to reach ~95 degress C
after around 20 mins) Does anyone think a hot start would be
preferential. i.e heat the citrate buffer first before adding the
slides.
Also what kind of retrieval solutions do people use, we make our
retrieval solution up ourselves but does anybody use commercially
availible ones. I know i'm going to have have a 'tinker' with this
protocol to get optimal results.. Thanks in advance for your help Lee

Lee Ridley
Research Associate

L.D.Ridley <@t> bham.ac.uk
Cancer Research UK Institute for Cancer Studies
University of Birmingham
Vincent Drive
Edgbaston
Birmingham