[Histonet] Steamer Protocol hints

LD Ridley L.D.Ridley <@t> bham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 18 03:24:36 CST 2003

Hi all,
         Does anyone out there have any good tips they could share with me with regards to using steamers for antigen retrieval. We have just had one kindly donated.
My plan is to place a container of cold citrate buffer with the slides in, into the steamer and heat for approximately 40 mins. (Allowing the temp of the citrate buffer to reach ~95 degress C after around 20 mins) Does anyone think a hot start would be preferential. i.e heat the citrate buffer first before adding the slides.
Also what kind of retrieval solutions do people use, we make our retrieval solution up ourselves but does anybody use commercially availible ones.
I know i'm going to have have a 'tinker' with this protocol to get optimal results..
Thanks in advance for your help
Lee

Lee Ridley
Research Associate

L.D.Ridley <@t> bham.ac.uk
Cancer Research UK Institute for Cancer Studies
University of Birmingham
Vincent Drive
Edgbaston
Birmingham