[Histonet] gomori methenamin silver

Bartlett, Jeanine jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Wed Dec 17 08:32:06 CST 2003

	-----Original Message-----
	From: histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-admin <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun
Lang
	Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:17 AM
	To: Histonetliste
	Subject: [Histonet] gomori methenamin silver

	Dear histonetters,
	I need help of those, who are familiar to Gomori Methenamin
Silver staining.
	I have troubles to convince my colleages about the advantages of
using a stock meth-silver-solution. (instead of fresh making each time)
	stock:    1:40 10%Silvernitrate : 3% Hexamethenamin (stable for
few months);
	working:  1:10 Borax : stock
	My colleages think, that the stock solution soon becomes
instable. And that there is a kind of sediment at the bottom of the
bottle (more concentration of silver).

	Can anyone tell me about bad experience with older stock
solutions? What happens, when the stock solution is older than two (or
three,..) months? Is the result of the stain weaker or darker?

	Question 2:
	What is the the function of Hexamethenamin? I know it causes the
high pH, but does it make any compound with the silvernitrate?

	Any help is welcome
	Best wishes from Austria

	Gudrun Lang
	Akh Linz, Austria