[Histonet] gomori methenamin silver

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Dec 17 16:45:33 CST 2003

If you mix the silver nitrate and sodium
tetraborate as you describe, there will be
a white precipitate of silver borate. It is
possible to make a borate-buffered very dilute
silver nitrate solution, as in the Holmes
method (for axons in paraffin sections of
CNS). The mechanism of that technique is
quite different from that of Grocott's or
any other methenamine (hexamine) silver
method. If it stains Pneumocystis that's
fine, but the mechanism will have to be
different.
--
John A. Kiernan