[Histonet] Laser Microdissection of Lung

Gagermeier, James gagermeierjp <@t> upmc.edu
Thu Dec 11 21:03:02 CST 2003

First time on the Histonet -

These are questions that pertain to laser microdissection on lung tissue
using a Leica AS LMD with the goal of performing microarray.  If anyone can
answer one, all of some of these questions I appreciate your input.

1)      In staining tissues with nuclease free alcohols -  Arcturus
recommends that these alcohols be changed every 4 slides.  I have noticed
that using the alcohols for 10-12 slides does seem to lead to more difficult
capture of the cells as they seem to adhere to the slides more tightly and
do not drop into the caps.  In an attempt to be economical, does anyone have
recommendations for how many slides can be stained before changing
alcohols/water is necessary?

2)      I have ordered glass foiled slides to capture the cells, as opposed
to glass slides, as I have been told that the foiled slides retain H2O less
avidly - furthermore, it would seem that cutting through foil would
naturally be easier than through the slides.

3)      I have also read that if glass slides are used, that these too
should be cleaned in DEPC-treated solution, autoclaved, and even RNAZapped.
This seems a bit much - is this true?

4)      In regards to the Leica system -  is amplification of tissue almost
universally necessary to obtain adequate amounts of RNA (lower limit .2 ug)
to perform a Codelink platform microarray?  Initially, I obtained a yield of
about .3 ug from microdissected tissues.  This yield was obtained from
capturing a total area of 495,000 um2 of tissue from about 10 individual
captured pieces of tissue (ranging in size from 9,000 - 180,000 um2).
However, in subsequent sessions of microdissection, similar areas of tissue
gave me a total of 40-120 nannograms of RNA - which will obviously need
amplified.  Should I expect to amplify most of the time?

5)      In lung tissue, what is the minimum tissue area that needs to be
captured ( if anyone wants to give me their thoughts) that is sufficient,
then, to avoid amplification?

6)      No number 6.

Thanks,

Jim Gagermeier