[Histonet] Processor failure

Favara, Cynthia (NIH/NIAID) cfavara <@t> niaid.nih.gov
Wed Aug 27 08:34:00 CDT 2003

I had this happen repeatedly and eventually found out the rotator was bad on
the processor so be aware of further problems. The rotator on my processor
would rotate at will and plunk in any basket.

To rescue the tissue I would just place back in the solution it was in
before suspended in air then proceed with the processing. I would mostly
with mouse tissue and samples were readable but we elected to repeat our
studies as the morphology was less than perfect and cutting was a nightmare.
Not hopeless just difficult!

Cynthia Favara
NIAID/NIH/RML/LPVD
903 South 4th Street
Hamilton, MT 59840
406-363-9317

-----Original Message-----
From: Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com [mailto:Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 6:28 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Processor failure

Fellow histonetters:
I haven't done this in years.  I came in this a.m. to find the tissues on my
processor suspended in air over the first absolute alcohol station.
Apparently, the machine, a Shandon Citadel 2000, was moved too close to a
wall and stuck as it tried to rotate.  I have about 100 xenografts to
rescue.  Right now they all look and feel like bb's.  My plan is to
rehydrate them and reprocess them, but I have my doubts as to the quality of
the morphology and any subsequent IHC.  As I said, I haven't screwed up a
basket of tissue in years and years - so I would appreciate any new ideas on
possibly saving these tumors.  Thanks in advance.

Jackie O'Connor