[Histonet] tisssue preparation for AFM

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Wed Oct 28 12:00:47 CDT 2009

Hi all!

I was asked for advice, but have to give the question further to you.

We look for the best preparation of cornea for the atomic force microscope.
A student wants to investigate the difference before and after the treatment
of the cornea with a crosslinking drug. So any crosslinking fixative would
bring artificial crosslinks and cannot be used. I think, that coagulating
fixatives like ethanol, aceton etc. would also lead to artificial changes of
the proteinstructure. The students wants to demonstrate the crosslinks of
collagenfibers in cornea with the AFM. And the cornea should be seen as
cross section to reach the interesting area.

We will try to make frozen sections, but I doubt, that they will have the
necessary quality and stability for AFM.

So any tipp or hint is highly appreciated.

Gudrun Lang