[Histonet] Re: Brain frozen sections

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 6 17:44:41 CDT 2009

Hi:

There is one thing you might try to make frozen brain sections more than
acceptable.
You can freeze the tissue in liquid nitrogen vapor (LNV) (not directly
into liquid nitrogen), let the tissue equilibrate to cryostat
temperature, and then cut the sections.
The histology is almost as good as a paraffin section.

This is assuming that the technique fits the time frame within which you
must arrive at a diagnosis.
Also we ourselves do not use frozen sections to screen brains
diagnostically. We use paraffin sections from the formalin fixed half of
the brain.
We send the LNV frozen blocks to investigators who cut sections from the
frozen blocks for their research.

If you would like the details, you can contact one of the following
individuals who do this routinely at our brain bank, to see if  this
protocol is appropriate for your needs.

George Tejada
617-855-2646
gtejada <@t> mclean.org